Skip to main content

Beginning of fitness journey

Bit of insight into where my interest in fitness started ...

As far back as I can remember I have always had insecurities about my weight, this probably stems from my darling brother! I was a chubby baby/child I guess, but he very kindly nicknamed me Oros - In South Africa, Oros is the name of the mascot for an orange squash.

Although I was never overweight or fat in any way, it stuck with me that I was the chubby one - my sisters and brother are all skinny! I was a pretty average achiever. I always wanted to do more where athletics/sports team etc were concerned but was never great enough to stand out. I was the one that always went to practice but wasn't noticed, I preferred to mold into the back ground if I wasn't outstanding. I once did a race in primary school, the whole school was there to watch, I think I was coming like 3rd from the back and I didn't like it so pretended I hurt my foot so I didn't need to finish! Naughty naughty!

I'm on the left, then Kathleen, Amy and Jonathan.
Going into high school was a similar story, still very average at sport. Was good at hurdles though and always went to netball practice. I certainly wasn't fat but I disliked the way I looked - not that I did much about it! I LUUURVE THE CAKE! I have a very sweet tooth and a pretty healthy appetite! I love food! Unfortunately I am one to gain a few pounds very easy and I struggle to lose it (mainly because I am too lazy and can't say no to chocolate). I was a member at the school gym but had no clue what goals I wanted to achieve or how to train. I usually spent an hour or so on the treadmill, walking/jogging. Worked up a little sweat then left.
End of high school - fancy dress - I cringe at the photos from that night!!!

I'd say about 3 and 1/2 years ago I started becoming more interested in losing weight and being healthy, You hear so many stories of people wanting to lose weight, fad dieting, losing then gaining again but I didn't want to do that. I started doing a lot of research into health and fitness and I was given a Zest magazine by a friend of mine.



I found it a great read and had a lot of nutritional information which made sense to me. I also joined the Cosmopolitan fitness forum (http://www.cosmopolitan.co.uk/community/forums/topic/3467) where I would spend hours and hours reading up on peoples fitness routines and magic diets, what works for them etc and it all came down to the same result or conclusion. Eating healthy and doing exercise! 
The more I researched, the more I realised what kind of exercise works - WEIGHTS!

I looked at a lot of peoples stories and it became very clear that people who lift weights tend to have better results, and quicker.

At this point I was not a member at the gym, nor did I have the motivation to do anything about putting my new found knowledge to practice, so I spent another year or so complaining and moaning about me not looking/feeling great (I'm sure everyone that knows me knows this! haha). I have never been one to watch my weight on scales, it has always been mirror or how I feel in clothes.
I wasn't fat but I wasn't where I want to be either and I really did not like the way I looked in the mirror.

Another night I remember feeling very self conscious

My weight always fluctuates between 4 pounds or so and has done so ever since I remember. I went on holiday with my best friend and can honestly say I was LUCKY as I happened to lose a couple of pounds for it without trying..I cannot diet, as soon as I tell my body I am on a diet it rebels and I then become some crazy binge freak and my main target is always chocolate or bread!




Although I look a nice shape in these pictures on holiday I was still ,as I like to call it -  'soft'. By this I mean I have no muscle whatsoever, and the next week I was sure to bloat out and put weight back on. I had no control over my body, what went in it or how big I would feel/look each morning. That is why I say I was lucky here!

About 5 months after this holiday, Ryan decided he and a friend would take part in a running event - Mens health survival of the fittest. At this point, even the idea was crazy to me and it just wasn't something I could ever dream of doing, I am just not made for it, I thought. Instead I just watched him and a thousand others in the boiling heat, trying to 'survive' the race. I was very surprised by how many women were doing the race and that made me feel 2 things, a) a bit of hope - if they can why can't I and..b) like a lazy fart for just assuming I can't without even trying!
Ryan enjoyed it so much, we then booked my first ever race event. It was a 6k fun run on Halloween called 'Night fright' - http://allabouttriathlons.co.uk/race/night-fright/#.UUt19By-2So

This is where we started our tradition of sprinting to the start line ! We have been late for every event since. 

skeleton Ryan dressed up for run

I still remember Ryan saying, "I don't care how slow you go but you cannot walk at all!" 
I did not train much for this run as I thought I would wing it - how hard could it be ey?! Thankfully Ryan stayed with me the whole way and was very encouraging - I actually thought I was going to die! It was very hard and I'm surprised I even finished! At the end of it I felt so happy I completed it without walking - something that seemed impossible at the time and I secretly laughed at myself when Ryan said about no walking!
That run would be the start of many more events to follow. I still dislike running, don't get me wrong, the high you feel after a long run is like no other, probably the BEST feeling ever but I can't bring myself to get excited about running. Its horrible. I will run in order to keep fit but you won't catch me doing a run for the enjoyment factor.

So that is the start of my fitness journey. We then did a walk up Pen y Fan, Snowdon and a few more runs and then we decided to give biking ago. Ryan had a crap old carrera mountain bike and we used his dads bike to do small local rides - mainly to nandos :)

We have come a long way since those days of Cycling to Nandos but that is where it started.
I joined the gym 2 years ago, pretty much around the time I started running. I have spent the last couple of years getting to grips with equipment, watching others, getting tips and trying to focus on creating goals for myself. I am learning more and more every day and love watching small changes in myself. Although I am not perfect and still have a long way to go before I am happy with my appearance/body at least now I know what I am hoping to achieve and I also know what to do in order to get there. There is no easy shortcut when it comes to weight loss and I understand that now. Its going to be a long journey but I am loving it and hope it lasts forever!

Life is so much better when you feel healthy and you appreciate your body - its the only one I will ever have ey!

Lovely quote




Comments

Rachel said…
Loving the blog! I Put a link to it from mine as well on the blogroll so more people find it - i need to get more into strength (regularly!) so it would be neat to see what sort of strength stuff you do! x
You're on here now:
http://rachelinwales.blogspot.co.uk/p/blogs-i-follow.html
Sarah Barbour said…
Yay Thank you. It is fun! I'm not a great writer and tend to blab a lot but I like it.

Yeh once I get more used to it I'l stick my weight routines/progress etc up.

Hope you are all good x

Popular posts from this blog

Tough Mudder 2013

At the start of 2013 Ryan and I decided we would book all our events/holidays etc and get everything more organised financially and mentally than we had previously. We were planning to book a holiday to South Africa so we needed to be a lot more constructive and 'picky' on what we were going to get involved in. My definite s were 'Legends of Sherwood 10k' (my favourite event), 'Mens health survival of the fittest' (My big Goal) and ofcourse 'Nos Galan' (The big bang to start the new year).  After a few months, Ryan had started researching 'Tough Mudder' and after hearing his friend in Scotland, was going to be taking part, he wanted to do the challenge and eventually persuaded me to get involved too. Unfortunately we booked the event without realising it fell exactly 1 week before Mens Health-so we knew it was going to be an intense time! Tough Mudder  is supposed to be 'one of the toughest events on the planet' and is a 17k o

Trip of a Life Time 2014

January 2013 after my brother, Jonathan and girlfriend Lulani had come to visit us for Christmas - I really wanted to go back to South Africa to visit them, my dad and just experience the place I grew up again. Luckily it didn't take much to convince Ryan to come with me ! In my head I had planned this once in a life time trip - I wanted to go all out and do EVERYTHING. We booked the trip in March (as soon as we could) with Trailfinders. Ryan has a cousin living in Dubai and thought it was a good way to cut short the plane journey and make the most of our holiday to stop off there for a few days on the way to South Africa and on the way back. The plan was to leave the UK 8th January and arrive back on Friday 31st January. Long time hey?? You would think so but I could have easily doubled the time and not have had long enough there ! Our Journey begins...Dubai (8th-12th) The run up to our trip dragged like crazy - I just couldn't wait! I packed and un-packed a milli