Skip to main content

Blaengarw

I had a day off work today and Ryan and I decided to go to Blaengarw for a ride. It very soon became clear   the reason he wanted to go there was NOT for an enjoyable ride but for a challenging way to help me improve on my skills.

I started the day off very optimistically, excited actually as I haven't been on the bike in over a month (Makes such a difference - fitness drops drastically when you take a break!) I was also VERY excited about using my new Camelbak bag which I bought from the Sherwood 10k.

My first bag with a water flask in - normally stick a bottle in Ryans bag
The drive to Blaengarw took 40 minutes, and I became very car sick on the way but Ryan forbid me to be sick haha - so I didn't! It is very much 'in the Valleys' and the area is beautiful! The mountain we were climbing didn't look so bad from the car park.

From the car park

The trail starts with a blue route, taking you up to the bottom of the mountain and then joins onto a black. I have never done a full black trail before this one (only few black sections on other trails). The climb was HORRIBLE! Very steep and rocky - almost impossible to ride it all. I did get off a lot on the way up. 

Ryan pushing both bikes while I casually ate my apple. He is such a good boy :)
It didn't take too long to reach the top (whole route takes about 1hr15). We stopped there to take in the beautiful view and this allowed time for Ryan to prepare me for what was to come as he has done this trail before.

I love signs like this - telling me the hard bits over !

Ah isn't it Beautiful!?? The view isn't too bad either :)

On the way downhill it was very steep (I normally do blue/red) so I really had to focus on getting down low, weight on pedals etc. Luckily I have a hydraulic seat on bike so getting seat down just means pressing the button for me, poor Ryan was on the Giant (hard tail). The difference between the two bikes is unbelievable! We eventually reached a very steep dip which came just after a bend and I got a bit chicken. Ryan insisted I did it again and properly so we spent a bit of time on it.


This picture does not do it justice - it was a ballsy one!

There were a  few more drops which he got me to practice on, they were mainly steps off rocks and I was being a baby on some of it! I did do a leg day at the gym the day before and the climb was a bitch! My legs were beginning too feel like jelly :( but I was insistent the trail will not beat me and I did my best. Ryan did make me do them again and again until I got the hang of it (form on bike etc)

Looks so small in the picture but it was a big drop!

This is an example of the step - always look worse then they are and  I kept chickening out.
A very rocky trail!

We did the black trail twice, Ryan is eager for me to improve my skills on the bike as we are going to North Wales in June and Antur Stiniog is on the cards! So will be doing a lot of red/black downhill trails to practice.

Me at the top the second time round - very red faced!

The rest of the black downhill was very rocky- makes it hard to ride but some parts were good fun. Once we finished the black, there is a great blue downhill section which lasts a while and is smooth and enjoyable. Makes it all worth it in the end! Finished off at the pond before packing up the car.

Duck pond
Enjoying fish and chips as a carb reload after the tough ride!

All in all it was a great day out, my legs have had a wicked workout - bum hurts though as I didn't wear padded pants. I really need to go out on the bike more often! Hate having long gaps as it makes it sooo hard getting back up again!

Blaengarw is definitely not my favorite trail but I will to do it again in order to improve on my skills.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beginning of fitness journey

Bit of insight into where my interest in fitness started ... As far back as I can remember I have always had insecurities about my weight, this probably stems from my darling brother! I was a chubby baby/child I guess, but he very kindly nicknamed me Oros - In South Africa, Oros is the name of the mascot for an orange squash. Although I was never overweight or fat in any way, it stuck with me that I was the chubby one - my sisters and brother are all skinny! I was a pretty average achiever. I always wanted to do more where athletics/sports team etc were concerned but was never great enough to stand out. I was the one that always went to practice but wasn't noticed, I preferred to mold into the back ground if I wasn't outstanding. I once did a race in primary school, the whole school was there to watch, I think I was coming like 3rd from the back and I didn't like it so pretended I hurt my foot so I didn't need to finish! Naughty naughty! I'm on the lef

Tough Mudder 2013

At the start of 2013 Ryan and I decided we would book all our events/holidays etc and get everything more organised financially and mentally than we had previously. We were planning to book a holiday to South Africa so we needed to be a lot more constructive and 'picky' on what we were going to get involved in. My definite s were 'Legends of Sherwood 10k' (my favourite event), 'Mens health survival of the fittest' (My big Goal) and ofcourse 'Nos Galan' (The big bang to start the new year).  After a few months, Ryan had started researching 'Tough Mudder' and after hearing his friend in Scotland, was going to be taking part, he wanted to do the challenge and eventually persuaded me to get involved too. Unfortunately we booked the event without realising it fell exactly 1 week before Mens Health-so we knew it was going to be an intense time! Tough Mudder  is supposed to be 'one of the toughest events on the planet' and is a 17k o

Trip of a Life Time 2014

January 2013 after my brother, Jonathan and girlfriend Lulani had come to visit us for Christmas - I really wanted to go back to South Africa to visit them, my dad and just experience the place I grew up again. Luckily it didn't take much to convince Ryan to come with me ! In my head I had planned this once in a life time trip - I wanted to go all out and do EVERYTHING. We booked the trip in March (as soon as we could) with Trailfinders. Ryan has a cousin living in Dubai and thought it was a good way to cut short the plane journey and make the most of our holiday to stop off there for a few days on the way to South Africa and on the way back. The plan was to leave the UK 8th January and arrive back on Friday 31st January. Long time hey?? You would think so but I could have easily doubled the time and not have had long enough there ! Our Journey begins...Dubai (8th-12th) The run up to our trip dragged like crazy - I just couldn't wait! I packed and un-packed a milli