Skip to main content

April summary/May Goals

Well amazingly another Month has flown by so bloody quick! I hate the feeling of evaluating what I have done in the last Month and realizing it wasn't that much, I feel like I have wasted time seeing as it has gone so quick! They say once you past the age of 21 the rest of your life goes by like lightning and I think that stands true!
Time really does fly!
Well April wasn't so much of a waste of time in my eyes. I feel like I have achieved quite a lot that will help me make May an even better month. 

I have learnt an awful lot where fitness/weights is concerned (Thanks to Ryan and the endless time I have been spending in the gym). I seem to have learnt a lot about different muscle groups and how to perform different exercises. I have spent days in the gym forcing myself to perform exercises I don't like or would rather not be doing as I know this will benefit me in the long run - RUNNING for example. I think it is a big step for a lazy person like me to get out of my comfort zone and push myself harder than I would normally just because I now know this will help me improve.

I started April thinking I will not run unless made to and now (thanks to Ryans encouragement) am using running as a way to improve fitness and lose fat. Before I used to think you run until you become a runner or run until you start to like it. I don't think I will ever like it but I understand now that if I want to lose fat and become FIT I do need to incorporate running into my training. Also not to keep the same tempo, keep increasing speed/time.  

I have started using a journal to log my workouts each day and this has helped encourage me to increase my weights or change workouts. Before I used to do what I felt like and again, what was 'comfortable' now I go to the gym with a workout in mind and I stick to it because I have a standard I need to reach and feel I will not fall below that with the benchmark my 'journal' sets.


An example of increases since the beginning of April to now are as follows;
Db bench press was 6kg now 10 kg
Skull crushers was 8kg now 10kg
Machine back extension was 35kg now 45kg
Leg press was 60kg now 70kg
Leg curl/extension was 30kg now 35kg
Bicep curl was 6kg now 10kg

Although in the grand scheme of things it isn't a huge increase but if I hadn't started recording where I was I would probably still be sticking to the comfortable weight instead of saying 'look I have been at this weight for 3 weeks now, give the next weight up a go'.

My diet is a completely different story. I have been way too relaxed where that is concerned and it shows! So that is something I hope to improve next month. It really does prove to me 20% exercise 80% diet or whatever its supposed to be!


Other things I achieved in April 2013 - I got employee of the Month, went to lunch with the Ambassador of Germany (business convention - not a date haha). 

Went to Bath for the first time and had a fab day with the girls for Toris birthday. 


Tackled the Raven bike trail in Brechfa - Not my favourite but a real accomplishment. Some fantastic sections there, shame its so far apart though!


Had a great day on the bike to Cardiff bay via the Taff trail with Ryan - turned into a lift home with his dad due to me snapping the valve off the Boardmen.

Went to my first ever Point to Point day with the girls, another first I didn't even know what it was! Had a really good time and will be sure to go again if the invite arises.

May starts tomorrow and I am feeling very optimistic! The lighter evenings have already aided my mood and motivation. I just really need to focus on my clean eating for the next 4 weeks so I will hopeful have something positive to say about it this time next month. I am going to keep doing what I am doing in the gym but make sure I incorporate more running sessions into each training day. I need to make a long run (5k) a week compulsory and get the speed up on my faster runs. Ryan has already set me a goal for under 3.5 minutes for my 800m. At the moment I am doing 3.58 so that looks achievable! 

BRING ON MAY BABY!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beginning of fitness journey

Bit of insight into where my interest in fitness started ... As far back as I can remember I have always had insecurities about my weight, this probably stems from my darling brother! I was a chubby baby/child I guess, but he very kindly nicknamed me Oros - In South Africa, Oros is the name of the mascot for an orange squash. Although I was never overweight or fat in any way, it stuck with me that I was the chubby one - my sisters and brother are all skinny! I was a pretty average achiever. I always wanted to do more where athletics/sports team etc were concerned but was never great enough to stand out. I was the one that always went to practice but wasn't noticed, I preferred to mold into the back ground if I wasn't outstanding. I once did a race in primary school, the whole school was there to watch, I think I was coming like 3rd from the back and I didn't like it so pretended I hurt my foot so I didn't need to finish! Naughty naughty! I'm on the lef

Tough Mudder 2013

At the start of 2013 Ryan and I decided we would book all our events/holidays etc and get everything more organised financially and mentally than we had previously. We were planning to book a holiday to South Africa so we needed to be a lot more constructive and 'picky' on what we were going to get involved in. My definite s were 'Legends of Sherwood 10k' (my favourite event), 'Mens health survival of the fittest' (My big Goal) and ofcourse 'Nos Galan' (The big bang to start the new year).  After a few months, Ryan had started researching 'Tough Mudder' and after hearing his friend in Scotland, was going to be taking part, he wanted to do the challenge and eventually persuaded me to get involved too. Unfortunately we booked the event without realising it fell exactly 1 week before Mens Health-so we knew it was going to be an intense time! Tough Mudder  is supposed to be 'one of the toughest events on the planet' and is a 17k o

Trip of a Life Time 2014

January 2013 after my brother, Jonathan and girlfriend Lulani had come to visit us for Christmas - I really wanted to go back to South Africa to visit them, my dad and just experience the place I grew up again. Luckily it didn't take much to convince Ryan to come with me ! In my head I had planned this once in a life time trip - I wanted to go all out and do EVERYTHING. We booked the trip in March (as soon as we could) with Trailfinders. Ryan has a cousin living in Dubai and thought it was a good way to cut short the plane journey and make the most of our holiday to stop off there for a few days on the way to South Africa and on the way back. The plan was to leave the UK 8th January and arrive back on Friday 31st January. Long time hey?? You would think so but I could have easily doubled the time and not have had long enough there ! Our Journey begins...Dubai (8th-12th) The run up to our trip dragged like crazy - I just couldn't wait! I packed and un-packed a milli