Skip to main content

Ladies day in Bath, Taff trail ride to Cardiff Bay, Back day

On Friday 19th it was a good friend of mine, Tori's 22nd birthday. For Tori's 21st 5 of us went to Paris, her mom, her moms friend Sue, Bec, Tori and myself. So as an anniversary to that we all spent the day in Bath for shopping and Lunch.

Eiffel Tower last year
We had an amazing time in Paris, so many laughs and I saw so much, would never have been able to go there if it wasn't for Tori's mom Liz. We went to the Lido, took a tour bus around Paris and I had the BEST Meal I've ever eaten in a retaurant called the 'Music Hall' Its a club really but you sit down and eat, the most beautiful waiters/waitresses serve you and the food was incredible - especially the white chocolate mouse pudding!!
The 5 of us at the Lido
Anyway, so we went to Bath on the train on Friday. As classy as it gets with mini bottles of Champagne to hand - I didn't drink as I was driving to Ryan's that evening so I stuck to good old water.
Bec and Sandra (liz'z friend)
When we got to Bath, hilariously a policeman pulled over and told the girls they were not allowed to drink on the streets of Bath, so Bec being Bec downed hers and the rest threw their bottles away. We had a little mooch around the shops before heading to Lunch.
Outside of Bath Cathedral


It was a lovely day weatherwise and the sun shone most the day with the old cold breeze and slight drizzle but the blossoms were out and it looked so nice -  I love the spring!

Spring Blossoms
We had a table booked in a restaurant called Sotto Sotto, Tori had been there before and really liked it so wanted to go again. It is located on the river front right by Browns.



The restaurant was underground in an old Basement and we were greeted by very friendly Italian men, took our coats and seated us in an empty room - it very quickly filled up though! The atmosphere was great and the food was even better! I ordered a King prawn on Tuscan bread starter and Grilled Salmon on a bed on sliced potatoes. I wish I had asked what the sauce they used was. It was sooooo good! I then of-course had a pudding, cheesecake which was good and a coffee. 

Restaurant was in a Basement under the main road
We then went for another mosy around the shops where Tori instructed me on what skin care regime I should be having (I am useless with that sort of thing - posts to follow) and then got the Train back to Wales. I hope we catch up more often and do days out like this more, it was good fun!

Saturday - Taff Trail to Cardiff

So sad, so sad, its a sad sad situation...

Luckily for us it was another fabulous day weather-wise on Saturday, unlucky for us- both of our Mountain bikes were out of order, Ryan's was at Tredz being looked at as there is something creaking (maybe bottom bracket or rear suspension). And on our last trip out I somehow managed to crack my rear derailer in half. So still waiting for the part to come in the post. So we decided to take the Giant and the Boardman hybrid (road bike) out for a nice day out in Cardiff bay. 
On route, Caerphilly castle
The cycle took us about 2 hours or so (better than we had done previously). I had forgotten what a nice ride it is. Very flat and straight forward but on a nice day, sometimes it is nice to just go for a little cycle. Obviously would never have happened if we had our mountain bikes as downhilling is so much more fun. But I don't think we do this enough! We actually found some sweet little sections on the way.

Ryan nosing at a little jump section to left of Trail
We will come by and look at these properly soon. On Tuesday we went to the downhill sections near castle Coch (which is where I snapped my Derail-er) unfortunately it was quite muddy so slippery coming down but its another place close to home we can practice more on.

Taff trail is flat like this the whole way
The trail was unbelievably busy with walkers and bikers, everyone and the dog comes out soon as there is a bit of sun! When we eventually arrived at the Bay, it was around 4.30pm and the sun was still bright. We decided to have a drink and a burger at Terra Nova, which turned into 3 drinks and a burger.
Cheers!

Ryan chilling in the sunshine
The food went down a treat as we were hungry after the cycle. I think we headed home at about 6pm. About 10 minutes into the ride home I noticed the road becoming a bit more bumpy then realised I had a flat Tyre, a very flat Tyre actually. We tried to work out where the puncture had come from and then saw that I had completely ripped off the valve! Another impossible I made possible! We hadn't brought a spare tube so Ryan rang his dad to pick us up and arranged to meet at the museum (about 2 mile run from where we were) Poor Ryan willingly decided to run with the bike as I rode the giant beside him.

Ryan running with the Boardman
We made it to the Museum quick enough and then sat and waiting for Roy to come. I felt sorry for Ryan as he had just eaten a huge meal, a couple of pints and then ran the bike for 2 miles. He must have felt so sick!

so sad - poor Boy sat on steps waiting for his dad haha
All in all a great day with a sad ending except the sun was STILL shining which made it a little less sad! Oh we did also then watch Kung fu Panda series on Netflix - Ryan is more of a fan then me but I think it is a little motivating all the inner strength they talk of etc

Just like me - a fatty that tries really hard but likes his food!

Sunday - Back day

Today I was instructed by Ryan would be a 2.4k run, beating my last time of 15 minutes! He also gave me a new goal of trying to do it in 13 minutes eventually. so with this in mind I got myself off to the gym, did a 5 min incline fast walk as a warm up, a little stretch after, plugged my earphones into Britains got Talent on the TV and off I went. Started on 10.5. I found it nice and comfortable so when it got to around 1.8k I out the speed up to 11. I managed to finish the run in 13.39 minutes and averaged on 10.7 speed. This is a huge 
improvement on 15 minutes however still 39 seconds off my goal - watch this space!

Back-spiration
Sunday this week is back day. After a good old back stretch I started my workout;
  • Push ups 3 x 5
  • Back machine 2 x 10 (40kg) 1 x 10 (45kg)
  • Deadlift 3 x 10 (30kg) for some reason my grip wasn't strong and i found it difficult holding onto bar.
  • seated low cable row 3 x10 (20kg)
  • Chest high cable row 3 x 10 (27.5kg)
  • Lat pulls with pully grips 3 x 10 (10kg)
  • Cable back flyes 3 x 10 (2.5kg)
  • 1 arm dumbbell row 3 x 10 (8kg)
  • Dumbbell shrugs 3 x 10 (10kg)
  • oblique bends 2 x 10 (12kg)
  • Dumbbell bicep curls 2 x 10 (6kg) 1 x 10 (8kg)
I then had a tutorial on the Max rack which just involved an instructor showing us how to use the machine safely and what the best workouts were for the machine. We looked at deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts, squats, bench press and shoulder press. I am glad I went as I now have a better understanding on the correct technique.

I will finish of with a fab quote with so much meaning - I also feel like I am taking my first steps with strength and fitness and I realise I need to walk before I can run. I am getting there though :)

A lovely motivational quote













Comments

Rachel said…
I just went up castle coch for the first time on Saturday - was really impressed with all the skill section stuff! Will have to go again soon :-)

As ever, impressed with your workouts! I was such a lazy bum this morning and can't seem to get inside a gym when the sun's outside, but then too lazy to do it when the sun's not :/
Sarah Barbour said…
I know the feeling, when it gets like that just take a break and eat lots cause you will soon crave getting fit again. I liked the sectians at Castle Coch, shame it was quite muddy though.

The derailer hasn't arrived for my bike yet but hopefully it will be ready for the weekend, I think Ryan is desperate to get me on Whites - I'm a little reluctant as he always says its very hard :/ Whats your plans??

Popular posts from this blog

Beginning of fitness journey

Bit of insight into where my interest in fitness started ... As far back as I can remember I have always had insecurities about my weight, this probably stems from my darling brother! I was a chubby baby/child I guess, but he very kindly nicknamed me Oros - In South Africa, Oros is the name of the mascot for an orange squash. Although I was never overweight or fat in any way, it stuck with me that I was the chubby one - my sisters and brother are all skinny! I was a pretty average achiever. I always wanted to do more where athletics/sports team etc were concerned but was never great enough to stand out. I was the one that always went to practice but wasn't noticed, I preferred to mold into the back ground if I wasn't outstanding. I once did a race in primary school, the whole school was there to watch, I think I was coming like 3rd from the back and I didn't like it so pretended I hurt my foot so I didn't need to finish! Naughty naughty! I'm on the lef

Tough Mudder 2013

At the start of 2013 Ryan and I decided we would book all our events/holidays etc and get everything more organised financially and mentally than we had previously. We were planning to book a holiday to South Africa so we needed to be a lot more constructive and 'picky' on what we were going to get involved in. My definite s were 'Legends of Sherwood 10k' (my favourite event), 'Mens health survival of the fittest' (My big Goal) and ofcourse 'Nos Galan' (The big bang to start the new year).  After a few months, Ryan had started researching 'Tough Mudder' and after hearing his friend in Scotland, was going to be taking part, he wanted to do the challenge and eventually persuaded me to get involved too. Unfortunately we booked the event without realising it fell exactly 1 week before Mens Health-so we knew it was going to be an intense time! Tough Mudder  is supposed to be 'one of the toughest events on the planet' and is a 17k o

Trip of a Life Time 2014

January 2013 after my brother, Jonathan and girlfriend Lulani had come to visit us for Christmas - I really wanted to go back to South Africa to visit them, my dad and just experience the place I grew up again. Luckily it didn't take much to convince Ryan to come with me ! In my head I had planned this once in a life time trip - I wanted to go all out and do EVERYTHING. We booked the trip in March (as soon as we could) with Trailfinders. Ryan has a cousin living in Dubai and thought it was a good way to cut short the plane journey and make the most of our holiday to stop off there for a few days on the way to South Africa and on the way back. The plan was to leave the UK 8th January and arrive back on Friday 31st January. Long time hey?? You would think so but I could have easily doubled the time and not have had long enough there ! Our Journey begins...Dubai (8th-12th) The run up to our trip dragged like crazy - I just couldn't wait! I packed and un-packed a milli