Skip to main content

North Wales for Ryan's birthday

Its been a long time since I last posted as I haven't really found the time so I am going to play catch up!

 We went up to North Wales to celebrate Ryan's 27th birthday and had an amazing time we left Wednesday night and got back on Monday! We booked the b&b in January so it was a long time coming and turned out to be the perfect break and definitely somewhere I would like to go again!

Had an interesting start when we arrived at the hotel at 10.30pm and I realised I had left my new I Phone 5 in the Tesco we went to - 1 HOUR away! Luckily when I 118 118'ed the Tesco they had kept it aside for me to pick up the next day. It is not unusual for me to lose my phone or keys or purse lol!

We stayed on a farm called Cae Gwyn farm - it was beautiful! Very quiet and they cater mainly for bikers so there was a good lock up for the bikes. The room was lovely - very modern and spacious. Even the lady that owned it was welcoming, although she did like to hang out and chat with us a bit much.
Cae Gwyn farm B & B
Beautiful, peaceful and very Welsh with all the sheep and mountains!
Ryan sunning it up morning 1
We arrived on the Wednesday 6th and Ryan's birthday was the 7th. I bought him a full face helmet for the bike, tickets to see The Rocky horror picture show in Cardiff and a downhill day at Antur stiniog which we enjoyed on our final day. The first day we decided to do Coed Y Brenin Trail center - which we have done before but we did different trails this time. Started on the Blue (bull) which we had down before.
Me with the Bull - Mascot of this trail
Me and Ryan on the route

 The weather was fantastic and it was surprisingly VERY quiet also weirdly enough the center shuts at 5pm even in the summer so that was a bummer! We also did the Temtiwr Trail which is a red one - It was a bit hard but very enjoyable! All in all probably one of my favorite trail centers out of all of the ones I have done. I also noticed how much stronger I am and more controlled on rocky sections and put that all down to my new upper body strength I have acquired from doing weights! Unfortunately Ryan did have a tumble which looked nasty! We put that down to his 'Birthday Beatings' :)

Ouch - Happy birthday babe!
We then went out for a lovely meal at a restaurant Ryan found online, the night was lush and food was good too!
Gorgeous Restaurant - cant remember name
The next day was Mount Snowdon - again weather was perfect for this! This is the third time we have climbed it and I think we beat the last time! We started climbing and I remembered how frigging hard the start of it is - I wanted to turn back haha - it does get easier after the first very steep bit.

I think we clashed a bit - he insisted on that lime green shirt!!
The first half of the climb seemed to go very quick where we stopped for a couple of minutes then continued up. 

The views are amazing and we havent really benefited fully from them on previous walks as it was always in winter and the fog always blocked the view but it really is amazing!
Ryan was so helpful and did give me an arm occassionally and gave me some competition (people to beat) as he knows that drives me haha. And of course I WON! haha
Me taking a photo of Ryan NEARLY at the top - I WIN I WIN!

Me looking rough at the summit.
We managed to reach the top in 2 hours - I think we did it in 2.15 last time. It was so nice and sunny at the top so we grabbed some food me water and soup, Ryan a HUGE Oggie Pie and 4 beers!) and sunbathed. Then I walked back down and Ryan Wobbled!
Job weldone :) 
Sunday we spent at Antur Stiniog Downhill course. I hadn't booked myself in and intended on only going on once, depending on if Ryan thought I could manage it
Ryan going on the uplift
Me wearing Ryan's new helmet about to go down the Blue route

I had a mini heart attack after Ryan took AGES to get back down to the bottom on his first go as I had pictures of him falling off cliff with a broken neck in my head - It took about 20 minutes for him to get down when it shouldn't even take 5! Turns out he stayed at the top to help a guy out with a puncture and give him an inner tube- I was really proud of him for this, really kind :)

After Ryan had a few goes and it was nearly time for them to shut up I went up and did the Blue run - It was great and no where near as scary as everybody made it out to be. Next time I want to pay for the day and have more goes!

When we got back Ryan decided he wanted a chinese - so we went into one of the towns, somewhere by the beach and had a chinese - The WORST thing I have ever eaten! I felt rotten after it - was so GROSS! Then we took a walk on the beach before going home - neither of us feeling so great!
Chilling on beach after disgusting food!
Next day (last day) we decided to go back to Coed Y Brenin and do a longer harder route (Tawr - which is a black route) before heading home. I was very apprehensive as everyone we spoke to said it was really hard. Nah I thought it was good - although I did leave out the last long uphill drag as I knew the final decent was a bit pants (same one as we did on another trail). 

Small section which was a lot steeper than it looks. Ryan being a great teacher as usual!
So that was the end of our fantastic weekend in North Wales - it is somewhere we will go again and I think the time of year we went was perfect too!

Song of the weekend - Dear Darling by Oly Murs as it was on CONSTANTLY.
Injuries - Ryan 1 Sarah 0  for a change 
Squirrel count - hmm I don't remember seeing any??












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beginning of fitness journey

Bit of insight into where my interest in fitness started ... As far back as I can remember I have always had insecurities about my weight, this probably stems from my darling brother! I was a chubby baby/child I guess, but he very kindly nicknamed me Oros - In South Africa, Oros is the name of the mascot for an orange squash. Although I was never overweight or fat in any way, it stuck with me that I was the chubby one - my sisters and brother are all skinny! I was a pretty average achiever. I always wanted to do more where athletics/sports team etc were concerned but was never great enough to stand out. I was the one that always went to practice but wasn't noticed, I preferred to mold into the back ground if I wasn't outstanding. I once did a race in primary school, the whole school was there to watch, I think I was coming like 3rd from the back and I didn't like it so pretended I hurt my foot so I didn't need to finish! Naughty naughty! I'm on the lef

Tough Mudder 2013

At the start of 2013 Ryan and I decided we would book all our events/holidays etc and get everything more organised financially and mentally than we had previously. We were planning to book a holiday to South Africa so we needed to be a lot more constructive and 'picky' on what we were going to get involved in. My definite s were 'Legends of Sherwood 10k' (my favourite event), 'Mens health survival of the fittest' (My big Goal) and ofcourse 'Nos Galan' (The big bang to start the new year).  After a few months, Ryan had started researching 'Tough Mudder' and after hearing his friend in Scotland, was going to be taking part, he wanted to do the challenge and eventually persuaded me to get involved too. Unfortunately we booked the event without realising it fell exactly 1 week before Mens Health-so we knew it was going to be an intense time! Tough Mudder  is supposed to be 'one of the toughest events on the planet' and is a 17k o

Trip of a Life Time 2014

January 2013 after my brother, Jonathan and girlfriend Lulani had come to visit us for Christmas - I really wanted to go back to South Africa to visit them, my dad and just experience the place I grew up again. Luckily it didn't take much to convince Ryan to come with me ! In my head I had planned this once in a life time trip - I wanted to go all out and do EVERYTHING. We booked the trip in March (as soon as we could) with Trailfinders. Ryan has a cousin living in Dubai and thought it was a good way to cut short the plane journey and make the most of our holiday to stop off there for a few days on the way to South Africa and on the way back. The plan was to leave the UK 8th January and arrive back on Friday 31st January. Long time hey?? You would think so but I could have easily doubled the time and not have had long enough there ! Our Journey begins...Dubai (8th-12th) The run up to our trip dragged like crazy - I just couldn't wait! I packed and un-packed a milli