Skip to main content

Drinking 3 litres of water challenge

So if you read my previous blog you will see that I am doing a year long challenge of trying to develop healthy habits. Every 21 days I will be picking a new habit and doing my best to stick with it in order to become a healthier person.

I started this journey on 1st September and the first habit I attempted was drinking a minimum of three litres of water everyday. At the same time I started a YouTube channel as i hoped I could document the journey a bit better. I am so incredibly rusty on video though and don't think I really get across the true nature of what I am trying to achieve and hope the blog will help do just that.

YouTube- drinking 3 litres


I chose this habit as I know there are numerous benefits to drinking lots of water and find that it isn't a hard habit to get into but once you've got it it is easy to maintain.

Although I'm not the worst at maintaining my hydration levels, I did find it took conscious effort to drink so much every single day. On my channel you can see I listed a few tips on things I did to help me make sure I stuck at it.


Tip 1
Have a large glass of water as soon as I wake up- if it is the first thing I do, at least that starts me off right and that is a pint less I have to drink the rest of the day.

Tips 2

Add some fruit - this really helps when water starts to get a bit boring and drinking so much every day will start to get same old. I like adding lemon but you could add berries or cucumber

Tip 3 
Buy a cute water bottle - there are so many to chose from and buying a new one gets me excited about drinking water.

Tip 4
Measure out the quantity of water you are hoping to drink in the day - I fill up a 2 litre bottle and another 1 litre which I kept in the fridge with lemon slices in.

Tip 5 
Allow the water to get to room temperature - apparently it is meant to be the healthiest way to ingest the water but I like to do this so that it is easier to drink more. I find it hard to drink ice cold water.


I completed the 21 days without any hiccups but do think I started this whole thing a little easy. The benefits I found from drinking 3 plus litres of water were incredible. my appetite shrunk which is the best thing that could happen to me. I lost nearly 10lb from just wanting healthier foods like salads and fruit.My skin was so much clearer and I had a ton more energy than I normally do.


It has been around 15 days since finishing the water challenge and I am proud to say it has stuck. I drink a lot more water than I used to. I am thirsty a lot more often and find it effortless trying to keep hydrated.

My next challenge I will be writing about is waking up at  5.30am every morning for 21 days. I need more tips and ideas on other habits- please comment below and go check out my channel. Any help and suggestions are welcome.

YouTube - waking up at 5.30am



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beginning of fitness journey

Bit of insight into where my interest in fitness started ... As far back as I can remember I have always had insecurities about my weight, this probably stems from my darling brother! I was a chubby baby/child I guess, but he very kindly nicknamed me Oros - In South Africa, Oros is the name of the mascot for an orange squash. Although I was never overweight or fat in any way, it stuck with me that I was the chubby one - my sisters and brother are all skinny! I was a pretty average achiever. I always wanted to do more where athletics/sports team etc were concerned but was never great enough to stand out. I was the one that always went to practice but wasn't noticed, I preferred to mold into the back ground if I wasn't outstanding. I once did a race in primary school, the whole school was there to watch, I think I was coming like 3rd from the back and I didn't like it so pretended I hurt my foot so I didn't need to finish! Naughty naughty! I'm on the lef

Tough Mudder 2013

At the start of 2013 Ryan and I decided we would book all our events/holidays etc and get everything more organised financially and mentally than we had previously. We were planning to book a holiday to South Africa so we needed to be a lot more constructive and 'picky' on what we were going to get involved in. My definite s were 'Legends of Sherwood 10k' (my favourite event), 'Mens health survival of the fittest' (My big Goal) and ofcourse 'Nos Galan' (The big bang to start the new year).  After a few months, Ryan had started researching 'Tough Mudder' and after hearing his friend in Scotland, was going to be taking part, he wanted to do the challenge and eventually persuaded me to get involved too. Unfortunately we booked the event without realising it fell exactly 1 week before Mens Health-so we knew it was going to be an intense time! Tough Mudder  is supposed to be 'one of the toughest events on the planet' and is a 17k o

Trip of a Life Time 2014

January 2013 after my brother, Jonathan and girlfriend Lulani had come to visit us for Christmas - I really wanted to go back to South Africa to visit them, my dad and just experience the place I grew up again. Luckily it didn't take much to convince Ryan to come with me ! In my head I had planned this once in a life time trip - I wanted to go all out and do EVERYTHING. We booked the trip in March (as soon as we could) with Trailfinders. Ryan has a cousin living in Dubai and thought it was a good way to cut short the plane journey and make the most of our holiday to stop off there for a few days on the way to South Africa and on the way back. The plan was to leave the UK 8th January and arrive back on Friday 31st January. Long time hey?? You would think so but I could have easily doubled the time and not have had long enough there ! Our Journey begins...Dubai (8th-12th) The run up to our trip dragged like crazy - I just couldn't wait! I packed and un-packed a milli