Skip to main content

Brechfa - Raven

On Saturday, Ryan and I planned on going to Kilvey hill again because I loved it so much but as the weather was so nice, we decided we would go on a proper trail which turned out to be the Raven at Brechfa.
Lovely day - blue skies and sunny!

I had a meal and drinks with work girls the night before, so I wanted a nice long work out to make up for my very relaxed cheat meal/pudding/wine the night before I woke up fairly fresh, hangover free thank goodness! Ryan had set up the car/bike rack and got everything ready the night before which made it so much easier to get up and out on the day, however we still only made it to Brechfa (Carmenthenshire) at about 14.15.

We have been there a few times, the first time we did the Derwen (blue trail) and the Gorlech (Red). Then the 2nd and 3rd time we just did the Gorlech. It is a long and hard trail with a lot of great down hill sections!
The Gorlech is situated seperately
The Gorlech soon (afetr 3rd time) had become my favourite mountain bikikng trail, it is a beautiful area and does not get boring. Yes it is very long and challenging but the downhill sections are great!

Check out this Video - Gorlech trail youtube

So we decided to go for the Raven (Black trail). Now bare in mind 6 months ago - this trail would haven't even crossed my thoughts/imagination/dreams! At the time I thought it was something I would never ever achieve! After doing Blaengarw and Kilvey hill (both blacks) I decided hey why not, I will give it a go! 

It starts off on a slight up hill on the road and then goes off into the forest - I absolutely love forest rides, the area is gorgeous and so relaxing !
I did stop a lot to look around and admire the ride!
Anyway, a great downhill section came fairly soon on the ride. Ryan loved it. I had glasses on which screwed my vision a bit so I got too nervous on that bit so did the easy option. Ryan did it a few times and I think that was his favorite part of the ride!
Ryan walking back up to do it again

another view of it
I wish now that I had done it as I completed the rest of the trail with little problem - ahh well will have to go back again to make sure I do it all. Another reason I got a bit chicken is down to this sign just before the drop.
My excuse for being a baby!
We took about 4 hours to get around the trail, we did take our time and I was cycling quite slowly. In my opinion the trail was too long! The downhill sections were incredibly, but there were far too many long stretches of road riding - all uphill ofcourse and I hate those! Just a drag. The great sections seemed to be soooo far apart from each other and the trek to get to them gets boring.

Some of the climbs were very steep and I did get off a couple of times to push the bike, following a leg day at the gym, my legs were already fatigued. Plus we weren't in a hurry so we took our time.
Beautiful view - Carmarthen
Ryan and I were very glad we could start our squirrel count again :) whenever we go out on the bikes we count up the number of squirrels we see and luckily got to see our first one this year ! Summer is cominggggg!
Squirrel count; 1
I am sure we will see plenty this year! I am really enjoy going out now. I feel that because I have gained some skills at mountain biking, it makes it a lot more fun. As well as contributing to my fitness regime. A fantastic cardio/intervals session! Great for my quads on the dowhills too.

I know it's gross, but look how sweaty I was after the ride!
I am sure we will be back to do the Raven again - as Ryan really enjoyed certain bits. I would be happy to but mainly as a workout I think. I definitely preferred the Gorlechtrail as it didn't seem quite so dragged out as this but I am very glad I did it! I am doing well with the black trails now! Very proud of myself as I never would have dreamed I would get here!
Yay I have got my Raven wings now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beginning of fitness journey

Bit of insight into where my interest in fitness started ... As far back as I can remember I have always had insecurities about my weight, this probably stems from my darling brother! I was a chubby baby/child I guess, but he very kindly nicknamed me Oros - In South Africa, Oros is the name of the mascot for an orange squash. Although I was never overweight or fat in any way, it stuck with me that I was the chubby one - my sisters and brother are all skinny! I was a pretty average achiever. I always wanted to do more where athletics/sports team etc were concerned but was never great enough to stand out. I was the one that always went to practice but wasn't noticed, I preferred to mold into the back ground if I wasn't outstanding. I once did a race in primary school, the whole school was there to watch, I think I was coming like 3rd from the back and I didn't like it so pretended I hurt my foot so I didn't need to finish! Naughty naughty! I'm on the lef

Tough Mudder 2013

At the start of 2013 Ryan and I decided we would book all our events/holidays etc and get everything more organised financially and mentally than we had previously. We were planning to book a holiday to South Africa so we needed to be a lot more constructive and 'picky' on what we were going to get involved in. My definite s were 'Legends of Sherwood 10k' (my favourite event), 'Mens health survival of the fittest' (My big Goal) and ofcourse 'Nos Galan' (The big bang to start the new year).  After a few months, Ryan had started researching 'Tough Mudder' and after hearing his friend in Scotland, was going to be taking part, he wanted to do the challenge and eventually persuaded me to get involved too. Unfortunately we booked the event without realising it fell exactly 1 week before Mens Health-so we knew it was going to be an intense time! Tough Mudder  is supposed to be 'one of the toughest events on the planet' and is a 17k o

Trip of a Life Time 2014

January 2013 after my brother, Jonathan and girlfriend Lulani had come to visit us for Christmas - I really wanted to go back to South Africa to visit them, my dad and just experience the place I grew up again. Luckily it didn't take much to convince Ryan to come with me ! In my head I had planned this once in a life time trip - I wanted to go all out and do EVERYTHING. We booked the trip in March (as soon as we could) with Trailfinders. Ryan has a cousin living in Dubai and thought it was a good way to cut short the plane journey and make the most of our holiday to stop off there for a few days on the way to South Africa and on the way back. The plan was to leave the UK 8th January and arrive back on Friday 31st January. Long time hey?? You would think so but I could have easily doubled the time and not have had long enough there ! Our Journey begins...Dubai (8th-12th) The run up to our trip dragged like crazy - I just couldn't wait! I packed and un-packed a milli